Our HISTORY
A Brief History of St. Thomas Aquinas Newman Center
The St. Thomas Aquinas Newman Center at Winona State University began in 1910 as a Catholic Student Club dedicated to providing intellectual, social, and religious encouragement to students. The mission grew quickly, reaching 61 members by 1914, and was formally established as a Newman Club in 1928.
As student involvement increased, a dedicated Newman Center facility was constructed in 1970 to support the expanding needs of campus ministry. Throughout the decades, the mission has been guided by both priests and lay leaders committed to forming and supporting students in their faith.
In 1994, the Newman Center hired its first full-time lay director, Tom Parlin, marking a significant step in the continued professionalization of the ministry. In 2011, the Center welcomed its first FOCUS Missionary team, further strengthening its outreach on campus.
Today, the St. Thomas Aquinas Newman Center continues its long tradition of forming disciples, fostering community, and supporting students as they grow in faith and service.
__largepreview__.webp)